The Lunchbox Mum - Eating with Hunter

I guess I’m lucky I get plenty of time to ease into making lunch boxes right? Little man is only at Kindergarten twice a week, and he’s still got 2 years until he starts school.

Prior to starting Kinder, I’d been making him a few lunchboxes at home as trials, just to see what he’d eat and what he didn’t like. He’s a grazer like me, and loves snack foods for meals - perfect right? 

He’s a huge fan of twiggy sticks and kabana from the Coles deli, and he loves fruit! We try not to give him packet snacks too often, although right now, his current obsession is the Chocolate Milkshake bars by Nice & Natural. You get 2 packs of 6 for $7. I’ve tried to recreate them a couple of times, and whilst they didn’t turn out too similar, he still enjoyed them. So my mission is to get them as close as possible so we stop buying them entirely. I’m sure for $7 I could make a lot more than 12 bars - challenge accepted.

I got a few sandwich cutters and mini animal forks to make lunch more exciting, and it seems to be doing the trick. On his first day of Kinder, Hunter left half a grape - yep, only half a grape! The second day, he left a bit more, but most of the food was demolished. I know in reality, that not every day will be like that, but it’s good to know he’s enjoying the food I’m putting in there so far.

I’ve put in leftover rice from dinner both times, and that was enjoyed. I put a Vegemite sandwich in a separate container too, and that was demolished. I have so many ideas of things I want to make and pop in to see if he likes them, but I’m trying to keep it simple to start with. I’ve also used a couple of different bento style lunch boxes, and various little containers to keep things from going everywhere.

Hopefully there’s some other parents out there reading this, and we can bounce ideas off one another!


Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular Posts